Situated in the ‘golden triangle’ (the southwest Indian Ocean off of Africa’s southeast coast) connecting Asia, Africa and Australia, Mauritius is the converging point of global civilizations – a place where one can feel the cosmopolitan pulse of the world. This volcanic island of lagoons and palm-fringed beaches with coral reefs boasting 330 kms of coastline, is a paradise on earth for both locals and tourist alike. The island enjoys a warm tropical climate, making it an ideal destination for tourist all year round.
Regarded as the “success of Africa”, the Mauritian free market economy is based on four sectors: textile, tourism, sugar and financial services. It is a bio diverse multi culture of Hindus, Creoles, Muslim, Chinese and Europeans all co existing harmoniously. The exotic flavours of these diverse cultures can be tasted in the local cuisine of seafood and traditional Mauritian dishes.
Mauritius is a people and business friendly county that continues to attract investors and tourist. It offers, breath-taking beauty, safety and security, stable economic growth and tropical living lifestyle.
- GDP per capita: US$29.187 billion (2018)
- Sovereign rating by Moody’s: BAA1 (2018)
- Population: approx. 1.3 million
- Political System: Democratic Parliamentary Republic, elections every 5 years
- Languages: French, Creole, English
- Legal System: Dual System (Common & Civil Law)
- Real GDP Growth: 4% (2017)
- Unemployment: 8.3% (2018)
- Inflation: 2.9% (2018)
- Repo Rate: 4.65% (as at date)
- Why Choose Mauritius?
- Politically stable, with three decades of sustained economic growth
- Secure investment location with established rule of law
- Most business-friendly country in Africa
- Peaceful, multi-ethnic with a unique lifestyle in a blend of cultures
- Flexible, bilingual (English/French) and skilled workforce
- Investment-friendly regulatory regime
- Open to foreign investors and talents
- Ocean State with one of the largest Exclusive Economic Zones in the world
- Preferential market access to Africa, Europe and the USA
- State-of-the-art infrastructure
- Convenient time zone (GMT +4)
- A safe and enjoyable place to work and live
Why Invest in Mauritius?
- Mauritius offers a low tax jurisdiction, with an investor friendly environment
- Harmonised corporate and income taxes at 15%
- No capital gains tax
- No withholding tax on interest and dividends
- Exemption from customs duty on equipment
- Free repatriation of profits, dividends and capital
The Tax rate is as follows:
- Corporate tax: 15%
- Income tax (personal tax): 15%
- Value-Added Tax (VAT): 15%
- Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR tax): 2% on book profits
- Land Transfer tax: 5%